side menu icon

High Adventure

NEW High Adventure Course at
Camp White Rock in West Virginia

Girl Scout Junior level and higher can test their limits and challenge themselves on our new High Adventure Course. Trained facilitators who guide girls every step of the way lead all adventures. 

Camp White Rock High Adventure Reservations

Troop reservations for the Camp White Rock high adventure course (Fall 2017) is open. Go to our troop camping reservation system Double Knot.

  • Like all Double Knot camp reservations, you can reserve the course and if desired a campsite-- three months out.  
  • The course must be reserved for a three hour block (maximum 20 girls and adults) for $320.00.
  • Fees include trained facilitators.
  • The course is open on Saturdays for Girls Scout Junior level and up.
  • To defray the cost we suggest smaller troops reserve the date, and then reach out through our Outdoor Rally or talk to your service unit to find another troop to share the cost (maximum 20 girls and adults). Only one reservation can be made for a three hour time block
  • If you are interested in sharing the course contact our Camping Administrative Assistant at after you have made the reservation.
  • A deposit of $50 is required at the time of reservation. Cancellations and transfering reservation dates must be received in writing to Your deposit will be refunded if you cancel or transfer 14 days prior to the reservation. Cancellations and transfers after 14 days will forefit the $50 deposit.
  • Full refunds will be issues in the event the course is closed due to weather or staffing.
  • Final payment is due one month prior to your scheduled date.
  • All participants must have a signed waiver to access the course. Girls under 18 must have a parent or guardian signed waiver.
  • Questions? Contact Camping Services Assistant: Tamara Wilson-Ashton.

The White Rock high adventure course will be open for troops in the fall! The course will be available for troop reservations on the following dates:

September 29th

October 13th

October 27th

November 3rd

November 10th

November 11th

Small troops or individual girls can register for the Activity day on September 22nd.

Keep in mind that reservations open up 3 calendar months in advance, so some dates will not be available yet and will open up exactly 3 months ahead of the reservation. Click here to make a reservation!

If you are a small troop and are interested in the ropes course, the best option is to reserve the course first and then reach out to other troops. Try the Outdoor and High Adventure Rallyhood first, and if you still have not found a troop to join, please reach out to the camping department.

What does the High Adventure Course include?

  • Our exciting course is shaped like a figure eight, with a moderate option and a more challenging route. There are multiple bridges offering different obstacles including a cargo net, raider bridge, vine walk and wobbly beam. The course connects at several points, allowing girls to switch from one side to another.

  • Girls enter the course by completing a staple climb, similar to climbing a ladder. As they climb, participants are clipped into an auto locking pulley system for safety.

  • Girls can finish the course by taking the 300 foot zip line across Girl Scout Run Creek, or by looping back around to the entry point.

  • The recommended minimum weight is 60 pounds and maximum 250 pounds. Girls must meet weight requirement and properly fit into gear, which will be at the discretion of the facilitator.

  • All reservations will receive a confirmation packet with more information. For questions, contact:
New! Facilitators are now included with reservations of the Challenge Course at Camp Crowell in Virginia!
Challenge Course at Camp Crowell

The Crowell challenge course has several high rope elements including a Zip-line. The High Rope elements are for Junior Girl Scouts and above.

Reservations of the Crowell Challenge course, with facilitators provided will be available on the following dates:

September 22nd

November 3rd

November 10th

November 17th

Troops have three options for reserving the Crowell Challenge Course:

1. Lows only and bring your own facilitator- This reservation is for a 3 hour block and costs $25. Troops must have a Challenge Course Certified adult.

2. Lows only and facilitators are provided- This reservation is for a 1.5 hour block and costs $90. This reservation is for a max of 20 participants and is for Brownie Girl Scouts and above.

3. Lows and Highs Ropes- This reservation is for a 2.5 hour block and costs $190. This reservation is for a max of 20 participants and is for Junior Girl Scouts and above.

Troops wishing to reserve high ropes must use council provided facilitators. In the event that council is unable to secure facilitators, a full refund will be issued.

Additional Information:  

· Facilitators have attended at 2 day training and passed skills verification, as well as attended multiple practice sessions.

· Low Ropes activities will be determined by the facilitators and will depend on the level of the girls as well as ability. The low rope challenge course is meant to be a progressive series of challenges that encourages troops to problem solve and work together to grow as a team.

·High Ropes will include the zip line; additional elements will depend on time and level of the girls.

If you are a small troop and are interested in the ropes course, the best option is to reserve the course first and then reach out to other troops. Try the Outdoor and High Adventure Rallyhood first, and if you still have not found a troop to join, please reach out to the camping department.

Career opportunites:

High Adventure Facilitator 

Reservations  |  Activities  |  Approved High Adventure Vendors 
FAQ | Safety Activity Checkpoints 

At Girl Scout camps, girls can experience archery, canoeing, kayaking, climbing and challenge courses. Find the camp that is just right for your planned activity by clicking here

All High Adventure activities must be facilitated by a certified instructor, and all courses, ranges and waterways are not to be accessed without trained supervision. Camp White Rock's new High Adventure Course is staffed with facilitators.  


Make a High Adventure Reservation

Before making your reservation, click here to download a visual step-by-step guide or read the following instructions:

  1. To see what high adventure activities are offered, click here to see our "Camp Properties at a Glance" chart.
  2. Once you know which camp you'd like to go to, click on that camp's name in the chart.
  3. Next, locate and expand the "Reservations" drop-down section for the camp you have chosen.
  4. In the "Reservations" section, click on "Facility Search." This will bring you into our reservations system.
  5. Look for the drop-down menu on the left hand side of the page, above the calendar. 
  6. Expand the menu and select "High Adventure." 
  7. Use the calendar to select your date and check availability. If it is available, select "Reserve Now" and follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete your reservation. 

If you have questions or need additional assistance please contact the camping team at

High Adventure Sign

The new high adventure course at Camp White Rock was made possible by the Brandt Family, in honor of Elaine Klimek Brandt. Elaine was a true Girl Scout in every way, honest, courageous, considerate, fearless and strong. She loved being a Girl Scout, especially exploring the outdoors. 

Available High Adventure Activities

In order to reserve an archery range, you will need to have an archery-qualified adult for every 10 participants. Trainings are offered throughout the year. Search our calendar to find one that's convenient for you!

Water Sports

Flatwater Canoeing and Kayaking: 1 adult per 12 participants; Moving Water Canoeing: 1 adult per 8 participants; Moving Water Kayaking: 1 adult per 5 participants. 

Moving water certification is needed for any moving water canoe or kayak trips. Trainings are offered throughout the year. Search our calendar to find one that's convenient for you!

Low Ropes and Challenge Courses

Low ropes/challenge courses consist of a variety of elements designed to help girls learn about communication and working as a team. Whether the object is to get your entire team over a wooden wall, to walk a tightrope a foot from the ground, or to maneuver a balance beam, girls will learn about trust and their ability to complete difficult tasks with the help of their friend.

Climbing Tower and Rock Wall

Girls of all ages can reach new heights as they take on the climbing tower and rock wall at Camp May Flather.


Approved High Adventure Vendors

In addition to our camps, Girl Scouts can experience high adventure with outside vendors that provide opportunities such as horseback riding, whitewater rafting, zip lines, amusement parks and so much more. See the drop-down menus below for a list of Council approved vendors.

Local Vendors

Click below to see a complete list of high adventure vendors for each region.

DC  |  Maryland  |  Virginia  | West Virginia
Out of Council Vendors

Click below for a complete list of Council apprived high adventure vendors that are outside of our region.

Out of Council Vendors
All Vendors

Click below for a complete list of Council approved high adventure vendors.

All Vendors Alphabetically by Vendor

All Vendors Alphabetically by Activity

Don’t see your vendor? Please see the FAQs below for more information.



Click to expand

What high adventure activities can Girl Scout Brownies participate in?
Girl Scout Brownies can participate in low challenge course elements, go canoeing, kayaking and can do archery. It is up to the group leader or activity facilitator to make the final determination if the activity is appropriate for them.  


I would like my brownies to participate in archery, can we do it at one of the camps?
At this time we do not have properly sized equipment at our camps for brownies to participate in archery. Brownies are allowed to do archery but you will need to use a vendor with the right equipment or a local volunteer who might be able to help. 


I would like my girls to participate in high adventure activities but don’t want to take the training right now, what can I do?
If you do not wish to take the training at this time, there are two options for you: Use one of our vendors on the high adventure vendor database OR request a volunteer from the resource list by contacting the camping team at In your request, make sure to include the type of activity you are interested in, the date and the location. Our resource list volunteers facilitate the activities only on our camp properties.


I want to take my troop on a High Adventure activity. Where I can find information on vendors?
Click here to access the vendor database now, or by clicking "CAMP" on the home page, and then choosing "High Adventure" from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

If you have a specific vendor you want to check on, you can contact the camping team at


My vendor isn’t on the list. What do I do?
If the vendor is not on the list, when scheduling your activity, tell them that because your activity is considered High Adventure by GSUSA safety guidelines as defined in Activity Checkpoints, the company needs to provide GSCNC a copy of their Certificate of Insurance that:

- Indicates at least $3,000,000 General Liability Insurance
- Lists GSCNC as a Certificate Holder
- Lists GSCNC as Additionally Insured. 

Certificates of Insurance must be sent to: 
GSCNC Attn High Adventure
4301 Connecticut Ave NW Suite M-2
Washington, DC 20008 

OR Fax: 202-274-2161 Attn: High Adventure
OR email:


Why do I have to call the vendor?
Vendors are more likely to respond quickly to the request for a Certificate Of Insurance from a person who wants to pay them for their services.


My vendor is already on the list. Do I need to do anything else before the event?
First, make sure that the expiration date on their insurance is after your activity date. If that is true, remember that you need special permission from parents and guardians.


The vendor says they've never been asked for a COI before by a Girl Scout group–why do we need one? We have used this vendor before, why haven’t we had to do this?
If they have never been asked for a COI before, that means that other leaders may not have been aware of these guidelines. By providing the COI, the vendor is making it easier for troops to find their information and use their services in the future. If an activity is high adventure, in order for a troop to participate, the COI needs to be on file with the council.


Why has my high adventure vendor's Certificate of Insurance disappeared from the list?

Certificates of Insurance generally expire after 1 year. If your vendor was listed a few weeks ago, and is not listed now, it is most likely due to expiration. Occasionally, we will remove a vendor from the list due to leader complaints about safety procedures. If the COI has expired, you should contact the vendor and ask them to send a new certificate to GSCNC. If you have a specific vendor you want to check on, you can contact the camping team at


How long does it take to get a high adventure vendor on the list?
Please allow at least four weeks before your proposed event date to ensure that your vendor is added to the high adventure list. GSCNC updates the list once a week. However, it may take your vendor some time to get the certificate sent to GSCNC by their insurance company.


Do I need to get a COI for Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens, etc.?
Large amusement parks like Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens and Six Flags America carry very high insurance. We do not require that you send us a COI from such facilities.


Do I need a COI for a state- or county-owned facility?
If a vendor is operated by a federal, state, or local government agency they are automatically approved by GSCNC.  They do not need to appear on the vendor list; you troop is free to use them.


Do I need a COI to take girls on the Metro or a Metro-bus?
Because Metro is public transportation, you do not need a COI.


My troop is flying somewhere on a trip. Do we need a COI for the airline?
You do not need a COI from an airline, because their safety and insurance requirements are strictly regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration.


Do I need to provide a certificate of insurance for my troop to swim in a private backyard pool?
If you are planning a Pool Party in a private home’s backyard, a copy of the homeowner’s insurance must be submitted for special approval.


Are any activities prohibited in Girl Scouts? What activities can my Girl Scout not participate in?
Yes, the following activities are prohibited, either by GSUSA or by GSCNC in consultation with our insurance company:

- Arial tricks on bicycles, skis, snowboards, skateboards and water skis

- Hot air ballooning

- Bungee jumping

- Firearm possession, presence and use, hunting

- Flying in small planes, helicopters, sailplanes, gliders and blimps

- Go-carting

- Hang gliding

- High altitude climbing

- Paintball

- Parachuting

- Parasailing

- Trampolining (outdoor)

- Riding motor bikes, all-terrain vehicles

- Riding motorized personal watercraft such as jet skis

- Watercraft trips in Class IV or above whitewater or unclassified river

- Zorbing

- Skydiving