Working Together to Keep Our Girl Scout Community Safe
Updated: July 2, 2020
Check out our new Girl Scouts at Home page! We will be updating it with new badge activities, programs, and more virtual resources.
ALL in person, council-wide Girl Scout gatherings for members are suspended through August 14, 2020. Girl Scout sleep-away and day and evening camp programs have been canceled.
Our offices, shops, and camp properties remain closed. We will continue to monitor official guidance in hopes of re-opening some if not all before August 14. Council staff are working remotely and are available to answer your questions by phone or email.
A Letter to our Members | July 2, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | June 18, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | June 4, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | May 28, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | May 21, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | May 14, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | May 7, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | May 1, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | April 24, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | April 17, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | April 10, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | April 3, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | March 27, 2020.
A Letter to our Members | March 20, 2020.
A Letter to our Volunteers | March 13, 2020.
A Letter to our Volunteers | March 12, 2020.
Girl Scout Shops
All shops are closed for in-person transactions. Shipping fees for orders placed through our Council shops will be waived during this period. Contact the main shop at 202-274-3312 or email@example.com and leave a message with your name and daytime phone number. Thank you for your patience.
Online shopping is also available. Please check to determine shipping charges.
- Saturday, March 14, 2020 | Girl Scouts Air & Space Day
- Saturday, March 21, 2020 | Girl Scout Day at Hillwood
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 | Robotic Workshop at UMD
Rescheduled May 9, 2020
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 | Robotic Workshop at UMD
Rescheduled May 9, 2020 has been postponed TBA
- Saturday, April 18, 2020 | Annual Meeting
Changed to a virtual meeting:
Information for Council Delegates and Alternatives
Information for Girl Scout Families attending as a guest
- Saturday, April 18, 2020 | Girl Scout Day at Intel
- Saturday, April 18, 2020 | Make the Connection, Me to We
- Sunday, April 26, 2020 | Girl Scout Night at DC United
- Saturday, May 2, 2020 | Girl Scout Day at the Nationals
Postponed to September 20, 2020
- Sunday, May 3, 2020 | Endangered Species Day
- Saturday, May 9, 2020 | In Your Honor (virtual) | Watch the virtual ceremony here.
- May 15-17, 2020 | Great Girl Gathering Camporee | Suspended and rescheduled for May 14-16, 2021. Refunds are being issued for all active registrants at this time.
- 2020 Summer sleep-away camps | Canceled
- 2020 Summer day and evening camps | Canceled
Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital is closely monitoring the COVID-19 updates from the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, and the local public health departments for the District of Columbia and each of the 25 counties and cities within our council boundaries.
Girl Scout events are similar to schools, and we are paying close attention to local guidance around school closures.
Here are the additional things we are doing to keep our community clean and safe:
- We are keeping our properties well-stocked with supplies needed to reduce the spread of germs.
- All staff members who are ill will be sent home.
- We are encouraging all members who are sick or are at a higher risk for serious illness to not attend Girl Scout meetings, programs, or events.
- We advise all service units to follow CDC-recommended hygiene measures at their large group gatherings.
- We advise our service units and members to consider buying cancelation insurance for any upcoming large Girl Scout event or travel.
Girl Scout large gatherings.
- The CDC has indicated that this is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation, please understand we will update information as decisions are made based on the best information at the time. We understand that the COVID-19 is a serious concern for our members and leave the final decision to participate in Girl Scout events to families. When circumstances change, we are prepared to follow the recommendations of the CDC and local health departments to ensure the health and safety of our members.
- The Council is reviewing the status of Council-sponsored programs and events. Decisions to postpone, reschedule and/or cancel any events will be made two weeks before each event.
- For Girl Scout events managed by outside vendors (i.e. Girl Scout Day at the Nationals) check with the vendor regarding cancelations or refunds.
Increase hygiene at Girl Scout events, such as:
- Try to maintain at least 6 feet of physical space between you and other people.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used in a pinch.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Do not cough into your hands and always wash your hands after coughing or sneezing if you use a tissue.
Be a Source of Comfort and Calm for Girls
- Girl Scouts of the USA has developed a helpful resource for How to Talk to Your Girl About Coronavirus to help minimize stress and worry in your Girl Scout’s life and give her a sense of calm and control.
- Thank you for your help in keeping Girl Scouts a safe, fun space for everyone! If you have questions about how novel coronavirus may impact Girl Scout activities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-523-7898—we're here for you.