side menu icon

Required Training

We provide a variety of trainings to help you lead a troop, take girls camping, go on trips and engage in exciting activities. Sign into your gsLearn profile to find the training you need and keep track of it all in one place!    

Required Training for Troop Leaders

Program Basics Learning Path

You must complete the learning path for your level within gsLearn which will help you discover what you need to know to manage a troop. In this learning path, you will:

  • Gain an overview of health and safety standards, Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital practices and policies, finances and the concept of girl ownership.
  • Learn how to recruit a troop committee and divide jobs among other adults.
  • Learn about the Daisy, Brownie, Junior, or teen Girl Scout programs, including badges, meeting plans, program activities and resources, and troop government.
  • Discover the developmental characteristics of each age group and how to form an effective partnership with the girls.

Required Classes for Troop Activities

Cookout & Campout

Cookout & Campout: This overnight course qualifies participants to take a troop to established sites for both day cookout trips and overnight camping trips. Participants will learn:

  • Health and safety procedures.
  • Council resources and policies for outdoor activities.
  • Outdoor skills.
  • How to use the Girl Scout Leadership Experience for activities and planning.

Participants must complete an online prerequisite tutorial and the overnight training which must be registered for through gsLearn (but you will still need an eBiz account to finalize registration). For troops only interested in outdoor cooking, there is also a half-day Basic Cookout training.

First Aid

First Aid/CPR/AED: Courses containing all of the following elements are accepted:

  • Basic first aid.
  • Adult and child CPR training, including a “hands-on” skills demonstration even if the course is hosted online.
  • AED training.

Participants receive a two-year certification. Some healthcare professionals may also serve as First Aiders for the troop. See Volunteer Essentials, Chapter 9 for more information on which healthcare professionals qualify without additional training and when Troop First Aiders need to be present. Council also offers regularly scheduled First Aid/CPR/AED training through a contractor. This contractor offers both fully in-person and partially online trainings.

Domestic Troop Travel

204 Domestic Troop Travel: This online course qualifies participants to assist troops in planning trips within the domestic U.S. borders

International Troop Travel

204 International Troop Travel: This online course qualifies participants to assist troops in planning trips outside the U.S.

High Adventure

High Adventure: These trainings qualify participants to assist troops in the various high adventure activities offered at our camps including archery, canoe, and kayak. Check out our High Adventure page for more information.

Required Classes for Service Unit Positions

Service Unit Manager

Service Unit Manager: This course will cover the SUM role and three areas of service unit management work: building and supporting the service unit team, maintaining control of meetings, and finding the support available to you in handling challenges to success.

Adult Facilitation & Presentation Skills

Adult Facilitation & Presentation Skills: These two courses are required to be appointed as an Adult Educator. Learn to effectively present material to an audience and to facilitate adult discussion and learning. 

Service Unit Encampment Coordinator

Service Unit Encampment Coordinator: An encampment is when multiple troops camp at the same time and participate in the same programming or activities, at either council-owned camps or other locations. Encampments are often based around a theme, with older girls (or troops) leading activities done in rotations for the younger girls. This training qualifies adults to facilitate a Service Unit encampment. Valid for three years.